Got dry cracked heels? Let me share with you an easy and inexpensive DIY remedy to soften and sooth your heels and feet.
Dry cracked heels are never fun. Nor do they look good in your summer sandals. I’m an outdoor kind of girl, and find myself often with dirty, dry feet. And I have found a super easy way to keep my heels soft and smooth.
WHAT CAUSES DRY CRACKED HEELS?
Dry cracked heels are a common foot problem and are also called heel fissures. They are mostly a cosmetic issue, but if left untreated, can progress to more serous cracks that can be painful and can become infected. Some of the most common causes of dry, cracked heels include:
- dry skin from lack of moisture
- improper foot care
- prolonged standing on hard surfaces
- poor diet
- skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema
- other health conditions like diabetes and thyroid issues
- being over-weight (increased pressure on fat pad under the heel)
As flip flop season started, and I found myself barefoot in the garden this year, I noticed that my heels were in the need of some love and tenderness. I did what I always do: googled it. Seriously, I did!